Friday, May 29, 2009

First Stop: Roma

Though I have been thinking about this post for a few days now, I can't quite figure out how best describe my experience thus far.  My first time in Europe, my first time in Rome, my first time travelling alone in a strange place, my first real Roma tomato - the first's go on and on.  If I am unable to convey my excitement in this small area of text, you aren't reading it correctly, because the past few days have been truly and utterly amazing.

Rome is built upon Ancient Rome which is built Ancienter Rome and so on.  The city itself is one huge archeological site.  Even the most inane establishments (McDonald's) are housed in breathtaking works of architecture.  After walking the almost the entire city, I have made a few observations that you might find interesting.  

Firstly, landmarks are a necessity.  You won't need them if you get lost, you'll need them when you get lost.  That being said, it is hard to find landmarks on purpose.  Please note the "on purpose" part of that sentence.  Because the streets are so narrow and the buildings are all so tall, it is hard to see very far in front of you.  Therefore, it is not so odd that I haphazardly stumbled upon Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon.  THE PANTHEON.  ON ACCIDENT.  These type of things can only happen in Rome.

Because Rome is one big museum, I have been doing some hardcore sightseeing.  The metro system is fairly easy and cheap, but I've found it is easy just to walk everywhere.  The city small enough that you can cover it mostly by foot.  

The second day here I went out solo to explore Vatican City.  Stepping through the rows of columns onto St. Peter's Square was a breathtaking moment.  Yes, I have seen pictures.  No, they do not do it justice.  Like many other areas in the city (Spanish Steps, Campo di Fiori), Rome does public spaces very well.  The real showstopper in St. Peter's square is undoubtedly St. Peter's Basillica.  I have never seen such unabashed splendor in my entire life.  First setting eyes on the cavernous interior was a serious omfg moment.  My breath was literally taken away.  The minutia of the Basillica is far more beautiful than most anything I will ever lay eyes upon; the doorhandles are works of art.  The interior is full of gold and marble and dying Jesuses.  Skillfully crafted dying Jesuses.  

Next I went over to the Vatican Museum to look at all the works of art that the Catholics stole from around the world.  Let me tell you - they stole a plethora.  They have more pieces of invaluable art than they know what to do with.  There is an entire hallway the length of a football field packed tightly with classical busts.  Hightlights from the Vatican Museum were Raphael's Transfiguration and, obviously, the Sistine Chapel.  To be candid, though, the Sistine Chapel was a bit underwhelming after three hours of Medieval art.  Don't get me wrong, it is mighty pretty, but I left a little disappointed.  Oh, how snobbish of me.  Underwhelmed by the Sistine Chapel - I feel so incredibly badass for saying that.

Today, I hit the Colliseum and the Roman Forum.  Both were awe-inspiring, especiall the Colliseum.  I can hardly belive that the engineering marvel stands to this day after reading about it's history.  What a dream it must have been for an Ancient Roman to look upon it for the first time while it was in its hey-day.  The ruins themselves are a sight to behold.

Considering the title of this blog is Trust no man...and very few women, I might as well touch on some of the people I have met thus far.  Oddly enough, the first five minutes at the hostel I met a beautiful, fiery-haired bella who was heading out for food as I came in.  I joined her and we spent the entire day and night walking the city together.  She was a Candian living in Silicy who came to Rome to get away from her job for a while.  I guess I trusted her.

Last night I went out with an Irishman named Bobby for some drinking and fighting and lollygagging.  We ended up hanging with a bunch of folks from the UK who were still in town after the Champion's League Final.  As we sat on the steps at around 2:30 in the morning, you could still hear the Spanish cheering the previous day's victory on the piazza.  The night ended with Bobby puking out the hostel window.  Luckily, I was in better shape.  I helped him get up this morning so he could make his flight home, so I guess you could say that he trusted me.

Plenty more to come.  Tomorrow I leave for Florence.  I am staying in a tent hostel overlooking the city.  Needless to say, I am pumped.  Arrivederci!

7 comments:

  1. The Pantheon, please enlighten me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I. Which Roman god do you find most intriguing?
    II. Don't forget to mention your favorite local foods/drinks.
    III. I am jealous, you suck, and I'll be trolling your progress through foreign lands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Underwhelmed by the sistine chapel after medieval art??? You've got it backwards if you ask me :)

    I love/hate that you actually called a woman a "bella". goof.

    Sounds like you're having a blast. I should have come with. I'll be reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patrick, your trip sounds like it's going awesomely. I'm happy you've already experienced probably my favorite part of traveling - making instant friends with people at hostels (we picked up an Irish and a Brit on our first nights too).

    Anyway, I'm incredibly jealous that your in Italy and I've never been. Then again I'm not too heartbroken because, oh yeah, I just got into Cuzco today after two days in Lima.

    I'm gonna get a blog going myself either tonight or tomorrow at the request of mainly my mom's best friend, so I'll definitely send you a link to follow my trips on the other side of the equator while I read up on yours.

    Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. patrick-

    i got the link to your blog through our dads and props to you for screwing the hundreds of personal emails you're expected to write. this seems much more entertaining for everyone stateside anyways...

    i hope you're enjoying (enjoyed, possibly?) florence. i spent a semester there last year and could tell you a thousand things to do--but i'll give you some essentials if you're reading this with some time left...
    best panini in town: gusto panino, across from santo spirito, south of the river
    my favorite museum: the duomo museum, but the david at the accademia is truly amazing
    irish pubs: michael collins and jj cathedrals are among the many, they're always friendly to an american visitor

    i could go on forever, but i'd much rather read about what you see. hope you continue to have an amazing time!

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete