Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Journey Begins

I should feel nervous considering the impending trip. Actually, I don't feel much apprehension at all. I know I need to get to the airport and board an airplane and that airplane will take me to a destination thousands of miles away. Details are my only concern. Step one, step two, step three.

However, in less than 24 hours, I sense that my feelings will change. The scale of this trip, unlike anything I have ever experienced, has not truly set in yet. Until I find myself in a unrecognizable place inhabited by strangers speaking an unfamiliar tongue, completely immersed in a culture unlike my own, will I accept the journey that comes before me as my own.

Rome, here I come...

1 comment:

  1. Patrick,

    Your dad turned me on to your blog. Your insights on Roma are dead on. It has always been my favorite city for all the reasons you wrote about. Brings back memories of my camping outside of Roma back in 1973 and partying all night with a bunch of crazy Aussies.

    If you think the Catholics did on number on the art, wait till Florence and see what the Medici's did.

    Have a great trip Patrick.

    ReplyDelete